Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Work of Christmas: a post from my father to carry us to the Epiphany

I save posts about the blog in a special Outlook Blog inbox. I was looking to make sure I'd included everyone's posts for this year and noticed this one from my Dad. Somehow I managed to overlook it before, probably because it was dated January 13 of last year...

That was the day before my Dad was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. The day before our worlds were rocked. The day before the beginning of the end, as he was very sick and died on May 6.

But you know, this poem is so gloriously the story of my Dad and all of his quiet, behind-the-scenes works of charity and mercy. And this is so absolutely the entire reason why Christmas doesn't end on December 25.

Here is the email, in its blessed, sweet entirety.

Meggie,
I thought you'd like this prayer that Gini gave us at our last St. Vincent DePaul meeting.
Love, pOpS (yep, he copied my mEg, it was so cute!)

THE WORK OF CHRISTMAS
When the song of the angels is stilled,
When the star in the sky is gone,
When the kings and princes are home,
When the shepherds are back with their flock,
The work of Christmas begins:
To heal the broken,
To feed the hungry,
To release the prisoner,
To rebuild the nations,
To bring peace among brothers,
To make music in the heart.
-- Dr. Howard Thurman

Like a voice and a gift from heaven, the great teacher still teaches... I miss you Dad!

Merry Christmas, Blessed New Year and Happy Ephiphany everyone. With my love, mEg

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was so beautiful, mEg! Thank you for sharing. I hope you and your wonderful and very much missed family have a fabulous Christmas season!

Amy said...

Meg! So, so special to read that and know it was from your dad. Love to you----

Lillian said...

Tears. Love you.