Sunday, December 15, 2013

Gaudete Sunday


This third Sunday of Advent takes its common name from the Latin word "Gaudete" which means REJOICE!

The first thing Fr. Buddy told everyone in mass today was to smile. And rejoice. And don't worry that the Saints lost because we still have so much to be joyful for! (He can tie the Saints in sooo easily, this is Louisiana after all and hey, church? Saints???? :)

Anyhow, I'm thinking about my own rejoicing. That's pretty tough to do smack dab in a week of upheaval in which we decided Robby is changing schools in January. Again (third time in 2 1/2 years). In a week where I am feeling the uprooting of such tender shoots of roots so recently laid here in our new place, where I am feeling the isolation of change in tough choices, I started to think about my real roots. About my Mom and sister and brother. About my husband's family. About the very good friends that I have in my life that even though they are no longer down the street, I know should the rains come and the floods wash over me, they are going to be there. And so in my loneliness, I am still rejoicing.

And tonight, lighting the nativity scene on our mantle, I got to laugh along with one of those long-distance, crazy, fun-loving friends. (Someone for whom there will be much rejoicing when she hears she pulled another prank off against me, several dozen now for her, maybe one or two for me.) In the far right reaches of our scene, where the wisemen are slowly making their way from the East toward the star over the manager, there stood a fourth wiseman! And not just your average astronomer or king, but a man of rare, valued talent, a reformed sinner who knows what it is like to have everything and be reduced to nothing and climb out of the fiery pit to have another chance.

Yes, I'm sure by now you've guessed that wiseman (guy?) I'm talking about is Michael Vick, former Atlanta Falcon... his bobble head doll--which makes the rounds from our house to the Xides home and between several other friends depending on the year--showed up on my mantle last week and in my haste of the day to day, I didn't even notice. Tonight, like a smack to my face, there he was, managing to look humble behind the three other kings. I'm still laughing Kendall -- you nut! Now I know that the only reason you wanted to visit me last week was to deliver the bobble. Little did you know you'd be providing the joy this week instead. Well played, my friend....

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, rejoice. Let your forbearance be known to all, for the Lord is near at hand; have no anxiety about anything, but in all things, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God. — Philippians 4:4–6; Psalm 85 (84):1

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hahaha that is awesome!!! I love hearing about Kendall's pranks.

I miss you, friend! Keep us up to date and always know you can text me and ask for prayer :)