Thursday, December 12, 2013

And a child shall lead us...

I honestly had no idea how I was going to salvage a post from the wreckage of today but God (as always) and my son and my niece provided...

I won't bore you with all the trivial details but the quick laundry list of today: a field trip on which I was an unwelcomed embarrassement to my teenager; a disagreement and subsequent run-in with a teacher that has me deeply vexed; three caterwauling children who, fighting over the front seat, performed a reality TV show (we'll call it "SMACKDOWN!") in the soccer stadium parking lot; a quarrelsome, out-of-sorts trio who had me clutching my head through some tricky traffic all the way home. Etc, etc, etc.

I wondered where the silver lining was? (But was heartened to know that I knew there was one!)

I managed to wrangle all to bed and spent a little extra reading time with the two youngest trying to calm and reconnect. When I walked in to my middlest's room I was surprised (and yet not, the silver lining was due after all) to find him reading his favorite bible. It is a very special book to him. My niece gave it to him for Christmas after her mission trip to Africa and before her mission trip to Thailand. Just the simple cover alone, soft leather-sheen embossed with a deep brown crown of thorns, is enough to put it all in perspective. But it was Abigail's words on the sweet letter she wrote him with the gift that brought me right back to center. And God's words, which Lucca and I shared, have me fortified for another day ahead.

Abigail, thank you again for sharing your faith with Lucca. I hope you don't mind that I am sharing some of what you wrote him with others here so that they in turn might be encouraged to turn to God's word in need!

Dear Lucca, I know you like reading so I bought you a very important and special book. It has stories about battles, princesses, espionage, friendship, betrayal and forgiveness. Most importantly, it is a love letter. This is the most life-changing book you can read. It is so controversial that it is illegal in dozens of countries so know that you are privileged to be able to freely own and read this book. It is my favorite book. It is one of those books that needs to be re-read over and over. Read it daily. Memorize it. The message that it brings is what life is all about! That message is that Jesus came so that the world might be saved. Look for the story of the cross, starting in Genesis. Remember the cross so that we can learn it is always all about Jesus. Love, Abigail

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh my goodness!! What a wonderful note and gift. I am in awe of her wisdom :)