Tuesday, December 16, 2008

No beautiful myth, no lovely folklore

You've seen Amy Gottschang slowly but steadily adding to her list of weblinks in the right-hand column. That has been her labor of love for this blog. She has the best blog radar, finds the coolest stuff, and her advent additions have been no exception. I asked her to send me her very favorite she has come across this year. I cannot tell a lie. At first I was a little puzzled. This piece, written by J.B. Phillips, seemed pretty basic to me. But then I re-read it and the words sunk in and I was moved by its meaning. And most of all, I really liked the different perspective. I also adore the webblog where she found it "reprinted," A Holy Experience. The woman who created A Holy Experience is a homeschooling, farming mom of 6 who happens to be an amazing photographer too. Really strong words, a few of her posts have just about done me in!

The post Amy selected is pasted below. To see it on A Holy Experience's website and read more, click this link:
Visiting with the Visitor

“We rejoice in the fact that God has actually been here — and that is one half of the meaning of Advent. That is why, behind all our fun and games at Christmastime, we should not try to escape a sense of awe, almost a sense of fright, at what God has done. We must never allow anything to blind us to the true significance of what happened at Bethlehem so long ago. Nothing can alter the fact that we live on a visited planet. We shall be celebrating no beautiful myth, no lovely piece of traditional folklore, but a solemn fact. God has been here once historically, but, as millions will testify, he will come again with the same silence and the same devestating humility into any human heart ready to receive him.” ~J.B. Philips

Father, we live on a visited planet... may we pause to keep company, to intimately visit, with You who has visited this earth. Do I have time for You? Am I opening my heart for You to come visit me?

To read J.B. Phillips's short story The visited planet
For children to perform a shadow puppet play this Christmas Eve of the coming of the Visitor

No comments: