Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I offer all I am to the mercy of your plan

By Elaina Asay
Each December we read and reread the story of Christ’s birth. We almost know the scriptural account by heart. In modern life it is difficult to grasp the reality of life back in biblical times. What was it like to be Mary leading up to the birth? I close my eyes and imagine…

Citizens in the kingdom of Judea were ordered to enroll in the towns of their ancestors’ origin, so Joseph was required to journey 90 miles to Bethlehem, the home of his forefathers. Mary joined her husband on the long journey. Surely inspiration guided that decision so that the ancient prophecy of Micah and others might be fulfilled: the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. How terribly uncomfortable that voyage must have been for Mary, being great with child, riding ever so slowly on bumpy dirt roads. She must have been frightened and pleaded with God, “Please do not let me give birth on this dusty road.”

Passing through Jerusalem and going on to Bethlehem, Joseph and Mary searched in vain for a place to stay. Rooms were simple roofed enclosures with little privacy. Mary’s fear must have grown at each rejection. She knew her baby was coming soon. What was she to do? She and Joseph took shelter in a stable. Surely she thought, “How can I give birth here, among animals, with no women to assist me?” A rude, humble stable, but it offered privacy. The animals provided warmth a newborn requires. We can be assured that angels watched over Mary as she brought the Messiah into the world.

I have felt sweet peace as a precious baby emerges and breathes his first breath. I can picture Mary’s joy as she held her new child closely to her chest, marveling at the miracle. Prophecy had been fulfilled. Mary knew that her son, God’s Son, would belong to the world. Yet on that first night, Jesus belonged to her.


Breath of Heaven (Mary’s Song)
by Amy Grant

I have traveled
Many moonless night
Cold and weary
With a babe inside
And I wonder
What I've done
Holy Father
You have come
Chosen me now
To carry your son.

I am waiting
in a silent prayer
I am frightened
by the load I bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now. Be with me now

[chorus:]
Breath of Heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven
Lighten my darkness
Pour over me, your holiness
For you're holy
Breath of Heaven

Do you wonder
As you watch my face
If a wiser one, should have had my place?
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan
Help me be strong
Help me be
Help me

2 comments:

Kennan said...

so beautiful! thank you, elaina, for reminding us of the two miracles of christmas: that of God being born in the flesh and the humble story of the young, willing mother who birthed him! i'll be thinking about her tonight as we celebrate the eve of christmas.

kennan

Katie K said...

#1 most tear-jerking song of Christmas for me - how did you know?!