Wednesday, December 24, 2008

God's gift of the present

By Lillian Craze
“Yesterday’s a fading sunset; tomorrow’s a faint sunrise. So, shut the door on yesterday and throw the key away, for only today is there light enough to live and love. It isn’t the burdens of today that drive men mad. Rather, it’s regret over yesterday and fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are the twin thieves who would rob us of that Golden Treasure we call today, this tiny strip of light between two nights.”
-- Robert Hastings from The Station

Forget the presents. Be present.

This favorite quote reminds me to be present. In a busy time such as Christmas, where the joy of the season can be overshadowed by the burden of what wasn’t accomplished yesterday or what I’d like to accomplish by tomorrow, it is easy to lose sight of God’s gift of the present. I desire to let God’s light shine on the here and now and to notice – really notice – the gifts that are right in front of me.

What gift is God giving to me through my children today? Am I annoyed at their demand for my time because I’ve got things to do? Or can I slow down and look my four-year-old daughter in the eye long enough to see the sparkle, the wonder, the curiosity, the window to her sweet heart? Can I sit on the floor with my 16-month-old son and explore with him?

This Christmas season, I pray that I may I take the time and have the wisdom to receive my children as gifts and give them the lasting gift of my time and attention. I pray that I take the time to lovingly communicate with my husband and make time for him as well. And I pray that I might open my home to friends without fear that things won’t be in proper order or worry that I am somehow an inadequate hostess.

What can you do to be present? To shine in the light of today? I pray that your heart may be open to receive the gifts of God this Christmas and throughout the coming new year as well.

No comments: