Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A different kind of abundance

By Lillian Craze

“…I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
-- John 10:10

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
-- Matthew 6:19-24

Ah, the season of abundance and treasures. Even in tough economic times, there is sure to be abundance again this holiday season. Already the stores are stocked and decorated with all things glittery, shining and bright. Last week, my four-year-old daughter stopped in her tracks in Target and directed my attention to the rows of sparkling, twinkling reindeer lawn ornaments. Today, my one-year-old son looked up, transfixed, 'oohing' and 'ahhing' each time we passed beneath fake evergreen swags adorned with shining, colorful ornaments hanging from the ceiling of a department store.

And then there are treasures. My daughter has reached the age of acquiring a case of “the wants” for material things. Catalogs come in the mail. She intercepts them, looks through them and starts the requests. “Mommy, can we get this?” “Mommy, can we get that?” My answer is usually “Probably not,” or “We’ll see.” Not wanting to face “no” for an answer, she has started to ask, “Can I get that when I’m older?”

So, what’s a parent to do this time of year? A parent that professes a belief in Christmas being a celebration of the Christ child’s birth? I’m an adult and I’m confused. Is it a celebration of Jesus’ birth in a manger long ago and all that means to the world? Or is it a celebration of presents carefully (or desperately) selected, and beautifully (or hastily) wrapped and placed beneath a tree? How to shepherd my children through this season of abundance and treasures with pure hearts is a challenge to me; never mind getting into explanations of Santa Claus and where the jolly old man fits into the picture and whether or not he can fit down the chimney, find you if you’re traveling on Christmas or really know if you’ve been good or bad.

Last year as I was feeling overwhelmed and inadequate as a mother at Christmastime, I asked a friend with older children for support. She responded quickly and mailed me an envelope with some resources she had collected over the years. Among the items was a booklet with Advent devotions for children titled “Living Light was Born One Night” (www.creativecommunications.com). I decided to use this booklet and set about my house collecting items to make an Advent wreath to display on our dining room table. It wasn’t anything fancy and included items such as miscellaneous candles (including the unity candle from my wedding), a few pinecones, a couple angel figurines, and the Little People baby placed in our farmyard-set feeding trough lined with Easter grass. Not every day, but many days throughout Advent, my daughter and I would light the candles, read the day’s devotion, turn on Christ-centered Christmas music, sing and dance for awhile, and then pray and extinguish the flames.

I found it focused my heart on God’s gift of the living light of Jesus and pray it did the same for my little one.

No comments: