Saturday, December 13, 2008

Prepare ye

A voice cries out: "In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God."
-- Isaiah 40:3-5

Building on Joey's words from yesterday, I have been using my new camera to look for and capture God in the natural world around me. Since re-reading Isaiah recently, I have been on the lookout for for a picture that captures those words. I don't live in a desert, but our grass is dry and the pine wilderness across the street from our house has been beckoning from hour to hour--the sun rising behind it, the blue sky showing through it, the sun setting on it.

It was two mornings ago that I settled on a scene that showed me a glimpse of God. The moon was the closest it has been to earth in 15 years. Called a perigee moon, it appeared 14 percent wider and 30 percent brighter. I hope you got to see it, it was really glorious, especially at moon set just before 7 a.m. To me, it looked like a hint of heaven showing over the bleak, cold landscape below. And it was a rich visual reminder to prepare, even (or especially) in the dryest, darkest wilderness of our lives.

Incidentally, I loved the homily at second Sunday of Advent mass last week. Monsignor said, "We're trying to make straight the path for the Lord, while the rest of the world is trying to make straight the path for Santa Claus. You can't change that... but we can recognize it. And we can put the path of God always first." Kind of sounds like a year-round, life-long concept, eh?

I'd love your comments on how you are preparing the way. And please feel free to send photos of your wilderness as well. (Mine is likely off to the right unless computer miraculously cooperates. :)

No comments: