Thursday, December 10, 2009

Only He knows the plans He has for me

By Abigail Johnston (age 14)

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope for a future. --Jeremiah 29:11 (paraphrased)

I find peace as I think of this promise. It reassures me God has a will for my life. Whatever that will is, it must be good, because it is in His perfect timing, NOT mine. I am not saying His will is easy, but I am saying it is perfect.

In Romans 8:28 it says (paraphrased, once again) 'All things come together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose.' And honestly if He (the omnipotent creator of the universe) says so, who am I to doubt it? I am the small, weak, unconditionally-loved created. I know that God knew me before I was born and he takes time to know my thoughts and actions (Psalm 139). So He must know what He is doing in my life right now and even if I am completely clueless I am 100 percent certain God is working out the good in my life.

So this Christmas season, a time supposed to be filled with joyous communion and fellowship with friends and family, I will leave all my friends and leave the home I have lived in for 8 years and spend my Christmas in a new home, 11 hours and four states away, unpacking boxes and trying to locate new friends.

Yet somehow I know I will be at peace. Because even if I can't see it, God's hand is in this for me to cling to. Just like he said, He will never leave me or forsake me.

(Ed. note: As you read this, a Chevy Suburban packed to the rafters with the family and last of the Johnston's household items is hurtling down I-20 -- just past South of the Border -- driving away from their old home in North Carolina toward their new home and Stephen's new job in Alabama. It's been a long, long year for them, but with great attitudes as you can see, they are all looking forward to the new adventure!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Abby,
That was very beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

You're right, God has a plan for you and it is wonderful. All the things you go through in life are according to His plan. Sometimes it's not fun, doesn't seem fair, and may hurt some, but you will always be going through your day-to-day trials because you are on God's Path.

We moved a bit when I was young and my Mother used this motto. "Bloom where you are planted". You are being planted in a new land, but you will bloom beautifully.