Friday, December 11, 2009

Listening for God

By Jenny Arthur

A few years ago, when my pastor was speaking about being in relationship with God, it made me consider the times in my life when I have most strongly felt God’s presence.

I often complain to my spiritual husband that God just does not talk to me like He does to others I know. I sometimes wonder what His voice sounds like. Is it deep and powerful like I have always imagined? It could be a female voice for all I know. My husband accuses me of not listening hard enough. He’s probably right; I live in a household full of noise. (My 6-year-old daughter never stops talking and my 3-year-old son loves to blast loud rock & roll music.) God probably has a tough time getting a word in. I know I do around here! However, I often feel God’s presence, even if He’s not talking to me.

Without a doubt, the first day in my life when I strongly felt God’s presence was on November 26, 2003. It was the day my first child was born. When the doctor handed me my precious baby girl, I could not help but think that God had created a perfect gift. As I counted her tiny fingers and toes, I realized that every part of her was perfectly designed, carefully created and lovingly delivered to us. I was in total awe when I looked her over and on that day and I realized that God had created another masterpiece. I knew that my husband and I could not take credit for this creation. I can barely make a cake without it collapsing. And my wonderful husband (God bless him) has an engineering degree but cannot even fix our ice machine. Us taking credit for this miracle would be like an ant taking credit for creating the Internet. On that day, I had a taste of God the Miracle Worker.

When my second child was due, I was worried that I wouldn’t have the same feeling of God’s presence. Would the miracle of a baby seem as amazing the second time around? On July 22, 2006, Baby Tommy decided it was time to make his world debut. Despite a scary birth, I felt the same awesome presence of God. While the doctors, midwives and nurses frantically worked on my son, I was amazingly calm and prayerful. On that day, I had a taste of God the Comforter.

My current Pastor, the Reverend Doctor Chris Carson, often asks God to speak to us during his service. I’m probably misquoting him, but he is in the business of forgiveness, so here goes. He prays, “Please Lord, speak to us today. We are not picky in how you choose to do so, through the Word, prayer, song, sermon or the presence of another.” I have always liked that prayer, since I have never actually heard God’s voice, but have often heard God speak.

May God “speak” to you during this advent season!

No comments: