Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The best Christmas gifts ever


By Barb Kennedy

My husband and I are blessed to be among those who in December of each year get to say, “Don’t buy us anything... we don’t want anything, and don’t need anything.”

Of course those same words elicit an, “Oh no – what do we get them NOW?” from those desiring to give.

One year, our kids (I’m sure that translates to “our girls”) came up with the perfect idea. It wasn’t a particularly novel idea – many use it – it was HOW they did it that made the difference.

They each made donations to charities in each of our names, but in doing so, they told us and in many cases, the recipient, why they did it.

“What’s the difference?” you might ask.

For Dick, a runner, hiker, canoe-er, historian, naturalist and environmentalist at heart, donations were made to the National Historic Preservation Society, the Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy, Trees Atlanta, the Atlanta Botanical Gardens, and the St. Charles Children’s Home. (Google their site -- an article about them says ‘Nuns in New Hampshire use the power of running to help troubled kids.')

Some of the messages explaining the donations read:

“We love you and honor your love of nature…”

From our humorist: “Some $$s were donated to these beautiful gardens in the middle of such smog in your honor. I look forward to our next trip and discussing plants and art over some drinks. I couldn’t ask to belong to a better family tree. Thank you. I love you.”

And… “I was taught at a young age the importance of family; sharing, mutual respect for others, and that my family is the ultimate source of unconditional love in my life!

To the Nuns: "…I read about you using the power of running to help troubled kids. My Dad was a top runner as a young man and has picked it up again at 60 years of age. He is my inspiration – not only in running, but in the way he lives his life. He is kind, compassionate, and a respected man - as well as an accepting and loving Dad.”

Since I’ve spent in the vicinity of 40 years as a nurse, love the theater, have a tender spot for those who sacrifice for others, and find myself best suited for Grief counseling and support, the charities chosen for me included a shelter for abused women and their children, the Actors Fund of America, Doctors Without Borders, the adoption of a soldier serving in Iraq, and my own grief ministry.

Some of those messages were:

”My Mom is an RN and has dedicated her life to service – service to her family and service to her patients. She is a strong, honest, reliable and compassionate person who has tremendous respect for you and your comrades...”

”I know how much you love helping people and making a difference in their lives. Peace and love is in need all over the world and you are an inspiration not only to me, but to many others for your help in this part of the world. Thank you. I love you."

And… “Each year you touch so many people’s hearts in their greatest time of sadness. You are so instrumental in bringing them peacefully to the other side of their grief. You have such a gift! It was an obvious choice to provide this money for you to continue God’s healing work for so many! We love you beyond words and are proud of all that you do and accomplish in His name.”

I imagine by now you know the scope of the answer to that question, “What’s the difference?”

For us, the difference was huge. We were gifted with what our adult kids had taken from their upbringing - the lens thru which they saw us as adults, and why.

So if you’re stuck for ideas for those special people in your lives who are impossible to buy for, maybe consider giving them the gift of telling them who they are in your life, thru your eyes... by giving to others.

Three “people” benefited from these gifts – the recipients of the donations, the givers of the gifts, and the honorees beyond measure.

No comments: