Monday, December 20, 2010

So many possibilities

Going in to the last week of advent and the final days before the 25th, the hustle and bustle and even stress are inevitable. But what if there was a different way of looking at all of that? Emily Buck shares her take and I hope to adopt this in my family and in my heart!

Advent is the beginning of a new church year and holds so many possibilities for us as believers. We can set new goals, celebrate accomplishments, mourn our losses, but mostly feel thankful that we are able to experience another year in God's presence.

So often, I see Advent as the END of another calendar year where I am rushing to finish up tasks, create the perfect few weeks for my family, and not forget Jesus's birth while I do it all. If I can change my perspective and see the season for what it truly is-a beginning with fresh opportunities- life automatically seems less frantic and overwhelming.

I love the Christmas season and really dislike the feeling of panic that "I simply won't get it all done". Simply by changing the deadline, I no longer feel as pressured to be superwoman. I can sit back and enjoy the fire in my fire place, take the time necessary to count my many blessings, and just soak up the joy of this Advent. It doesn't mean that i won't panic that everything won't be perfect, but at least I can revel in the understanding that I have a whole year ahead of me to put it all right!

No comments: