Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A gift from God

My son Ian is a Gift from God... Ian literally means "gift from God" in Hebrew.

When Ian was three years old, his preschool class made pictures of the winter holiday they celebrated at home. My son painted a beautiful picture of a Menorah. He told his two teachers and fourteen classmates that he was Jewish. (My son was baptized in the Methodist Church.)

Ian is 6 now and after this Thanksgiving, on our way back to Georgia from my parents house, Ian asked if he was Jewish. I asked him, "Would you like to become Jewish?" He answered, "Yes I would." My husband, then simply said " Tell me why?" Ian
replied, " Because Jesus was Jewish, so I think I should be Jewish."

On Friday last week, Ian asked for a Menorah for Christmas.

This week, let's remember God's Chosen People and the miracle of the sacred oil that kept the lights going for 8 wondrous nights.

And yes, I think we will be getting Ian a Menorah for Christmas.

-- Erin Garrett


And a little child shall lead us. (This child, in particular, is a brilliant choice indeed. Ian, you old soul, I swear you've lived several lives on this Earth already. How can you know so much at such a tender young age???)

No comments: