Monday, December 13, 2010

Beyond the tinsel and reindeer

Thank you, God, that Christmas is not about tinsel and reindeer. And when things are hard, you understand and are there. Thank you also for this song and video, which shows that maybe Christmas should include more embracing all that feels tough and confusing, scary and unsure.

That it might include inviting you to shine your divine light into the dark corners of our lives so that we might know you more and be certain of your love. And in those dark places, find peace and joy and hope and Jesus.

-- Lillian Craze

This is an amazing reminder of what it must have been like for Mary laboring in that dark, cold stable. As a Mom, it strikes a chord since I count childbirth as the hardest but most empowering hours of my life.

I love that in the week of the pink candle symbolizing joy, Lillian reminds us to go head-to-head with our toughest, not-so-happy challenges. If that doesn't ultimately lead to joy, it makes us stronger for the journey and more appreciative of the joyful times. With that, I encourage you to share your tough stuff with us this week. And I'm still eager to hear your blessings!


Click the "Watch on YouTube" icon in the bottom right corner of the video if you aren't able to see this video full screen. Working on correcting this....

2 comments:

Jamie said...

This is weird. I was just thinking about the birth story from Mary's perspective. Wondering how much pain she was during and more so afterwards ~ she wasn't in her house..she still had to travel home. But I guess that's how it was back then. Women gave birth and went on with their hard lives. I wonder if she doubted who he was? Of course she had knowledge that he was divinely conceived. (That would be a strong indication) But I wonder what was going through her mind those days and weeks afterwards. Enjoyed the post. That was a fun coincidence.

mEg said...

I hadn't thought about it until hearing Amy Grant's "Breath of Heaven" which I love and every Christmas since, it has become a focus for me. I'm so grateful to my college roomie for her post here and this new song, another to love and for this focus this week. My mother-in-law just opened up the flood gates on some old feelings and the resulting post will be an inspiration (6pm tonite!)