Friday, December 24, 2010

Negative thoughts become thankfulness...

Last weekend, we went to my oldest brother's house to celebrate Christmas. It's rare to be together, because my middle brother lives in Alabama and my niece and nephew live in California, but we were all there.

We arrived with smiles and laughs, but the mood changed quickly as my neice and nephew ended up with the stomach bug. My first thought was GREAT now we are going to get it. But we hung out and enjoyed each other as much as we could while worrying about the kids and my brother who I know was worried about his kids. Turns out he was up until 4 a.m.

Meanwhile, Jimmy & I had to sleep on a bed that was very hard and springy (bad for Jimmy's back). I got to listen to a lot of huffing and puffing over this. We tossed and turned all night and were pretty darn cold too, I must say. When we woke up in the morning, my oldest brother cooked breakfast for us all and then we went to his indoor baseball and soccer place. My niece and nephew couldn't come since they were sick and they were looking forward to it the most. Fair right?

We finally got home and about 4 p.m., Michael started getting a fever and coughing a croupy seal cough. It seemed way worse then he had ever had and in our experience it only gets worse overnight, so I took him to the pediatric ER. They gave him a few breathing treatments and a double dose of steriods. Finally (after a movie and a half, commercials included), they were ready to send us home... thankfully.

As we were leaving Michael asked the question, "Do some kids have to stay here?" And it was a learning moment for him because yes they do.

I dropped Michael at home and went to the 24 hr. pharmacy where they had trouble with my insurance card for some reason, but worked it out. While I was sitting there waiting, a lady was trying to pick up medicine for her grandson that was about $300. The same same medicines that I was picking up for my son. The only difference was I had insurance and she didn't. So she couldn't pick it up. It makes my stomach turn thinking about it.

I finally picked up the prescription and headed home. We got the kids to bed at 10 PM and ate our dinner. Before bed while I was saying my prayers, I thought about how selfish I am and how the past two days had taught me SO much!!!

First, I should be thankful that my family was all together at my brother's house and that we were there to support my other brother while his kids were sick... it is no fun to do that all alone. Second, as I lay down to sleep, I thought about how many people would be so thankful to sleep on the hard, springy mattress I complained about. Third, I had flannel sheets and a huge comforter to try and keep me warm, some people are out on the streets huddled in a ball trying to stay warm. Fourth, I am so greatful that Michael was able to go home and even be thankful himself that he was going home. I have several friends who spend too much time in the hospital. Lastly, after talking to that grandma at the pharmacy, I am so thankful to have insurance and to be able to bring home medicine that my child needs to help him breath better.

It was a long two days but two days that Jesus was by my side teaching all along the way. About others and what they don't have and how thankful I should be to have all that I have.

My family is everything and I am so greatful for them, our house, our health and healthcare. How selfish I am....but how grateful I have learned a lesson in it all.

God bless and Merry Christmas!
Jenny Berardinelli

No comments: